Monday, 24 November 2008
93% of persons who use social media believe business should have a presence. This is NOT banner ads, but appropriate content that finds itself naturally lending to the ongoing dialog in social spaces.
Less that 33% of business have any presence in social spaces. Without a presences there is no opportunity for brand promotion or protection. A consumer can not start a rumour in a printed magazine article but they surely can online. Managing a brand online is as much about protection as it is about promotion.
The 3rd most trusted source of brand information. Following behind family and friends and newspapers the 3rd most trusted source is information online from our "virtual" friends. This is very telling about the level of trust and comfort persons have for the digital world.
Tuesday, 18 November 2008
Wednesday, 12 November 2008
- It is hard work. Yes it is, there are no shortcuts to social marketing. It is about making friends the old fashioned like in the real world. Engage in meaningful conversations, be interested in the ideas of others, be consistent and available.
- Honesty not advertising. Any attempt to pass off advertising or to come across as insincere will result in immediate and long term repercussions
- It takes time. Like in the real world, building up a network of friends takes time and commitment. There are no short cuts to building long term relationships
So in the long run the lesson is simple. To truly participate in Social Spaces you must remember that you are engaging people on the individual level not on mass.
Saturday, 8 November 2008
Less than a third of business have a social media presence even though this is the #3 choice for consumers to make brand decisions.
Customers turn to online channels to save money on gifts. The value ads up in many ways, from better comparison shopping to saving on gas for driving. And think of your poor nerves, stay home and quietly shop with a glass of holiday cheer.
Video is becoming the clear choice for information and entertainment. But the myth that it is an exclusive domain of the very young continues to get debunked. The fastest growing segment on online video viewers is the choice 35 - 54 age bracket. These are the people with the real money! Well, except me that is.
Tuesday, 4 November 2008
- Create interesting and engaging content that is relevant to your customers
- Establish conversations with your customers
- Be interested in their opinions and respond to them
- Establish a presence for the long term to build relationships, trust and loyalty
Keep your content current and evolving. Like in real life relationships it is about continuously growing
Using these techniques will not guarantee results, but it will provide you an effective and more cost efficient means of reaching your customers. It will also allow you to establish loyalty with your customers that can not be attained with ppc and banner ads.
It is time to become part of the conversation before you get left out.
Sunday, 2 November 2008
I now spend more time watching videos on my tv than watching terestrial tv on my tv.
Even brick and mortar stores are finding a space in the digital frontier.